Saturday, May 22, 2010

... Biblical abominations? (Gleaner Letter)

The Editor, Sir:

For Jamaicans unsure that homosexuality is a sin and that homosexuals should be ostracised even to the point of attack we need to look no further that the good book for ratification of this view. Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination as many God-fearing contributors have taken great pains to point out.

In fact, so clear and unswerving has been your contributors' resolve around this point I am hoping they can help clarify some other points of God's laws as well. For instance:

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Trinidadians, but not Americans. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Americans?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Leviticus 1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

4. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

5. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

I am, etc.,

ALEXIS MICHAELS

lcrimsondawn_98@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment