Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Nuh boi cyaan" (No Boy can't) song reinforces stigma of same gender loving men as rich predators

As we continue to watch the happenings all over this new dancehall track on the Belt Buckle Riddim released May 2011 by a DJ J-Yungg suggests in its lyrics among other things that rich men somehow are the ones pushing homosexuality unto poorer men who in turn fall or switch (sell out) and act in gay for pay circumstances which plays into the whole world of secrecy, clandestine homosexuality and or the down low phenomenon.

The line that speaks to the perception says:

"Nuff boi a deh wid rich man and a call dem honey (alot of boys are with rich men and calling them honey)

Buy dem out wid dem money" (buy them out or persuade them with their money)

Even after all these many years when the belief first took hold in the seventies or there about when international happenings at the time on gay advocacy through media especially in the United States showed mostly Caucasian gay men at the forefront of the struggle thus also reinforcing the belief that homosexuality is also an "import" The predatory aspersion has been stuck on us ever since and with tabloid papers carrying same sex paedophilia stories as gays raping boys going unchallenged for the most part it is cemented more with each edition where it is heralded.



We have not had a proper and sustained response to this stigma that is so stained on us now we wonder when and how we will be able to convince the cynical and truly anti gay sections of the populations and not just those who use public homophobia as a cover up for their own struggles with sexuality, urges or realised orientation.

He did begin the song by saying:
I NUH CARE HOW YUH LIVE YOUR LIFE (I DO NOT CARE HOW U LIVE YOUR LIFE)

Some more of the lyrics are as follows:

Chorus
Nuh Boi cyaan pull mi belt buckle

Nuh Boi cyaan feel up mi muscle

Nuh Boi cyaan tek off my underpants

Yuh mussi waan life unbalance

Rept

Verse 1
Loose talk dawgg no mi nuh run it (loose talk I am not into it)

Certain tings mu nuh find funny (certain things I don't find funny)

Nuff boi mek rich man a call dem honey (alot of boys let rich men call them honey)

Buy them out wid dem money (buy them out with money)

Fi mi fren dem stay by my side everytime (my friends stay by my side)

No dem nuh watch mi behin' (no they don't watch or admire my behind / ass)

Fi mi ladder nuh boi caan climb (my ladder they can't climb) [ladder suggesting penis]

Caan put dem lips pon mine (can't put their lips on mine)

Rept cho

Verse 2
Pull my belt no boi caan (pull my belt buckle no boy can't) [boy there used as a demeaning or lowering of power of the accused]

Pardi the line I draw (partner or friend the line I draw)

I nah mek no boi rub my jaw (I won't let a man rub my jaw) [suggesting romantic contact]

Fi buy mi tings I want (to buy things I want)

Some boi caan thump my fist (some boys can't thump my fist) [a greeting style of knocking fists together]

No way full a scale, dem a fish (they are full of scales they are fishes) [fish another term for gays]

All because a de money dem switch (all because of money they switch)

Pon de side man a digg dem pit (suggesting anal sex) [digging pit means anus]

Cho

till fade

It is not far from the reality in some sense as gay for pay does exist where mostly hyper masculine types who are interested in keeping up appearances in the latest shoes clothes (mostly high end brands) will get down if the price is right but will also deny to the ground and actually engage in public homophobia to stave off any suspicion of such activity as the stigma has captured the nation, they often stipulate that their effeminate partners (if they do associate with one) is not to be seen in public with them and all linkages are to be done privately. The problem with this arrangement is that when there is violence due to a disagreement over pay or roles in the arrangement the circumstances are hard to investigate by the authorities and piece together.

Peace and tolerance

H

UPDATE a response from the artist or a member of his team came today via email at 2:22pm Jamaica time.

to whom it may concern

i have seen u made a post on your blog about a recent song i did which in most aspect of what u wrote i think u are misinterpreting what i was trying to accomplish by singing this song....
first off i am utilizing my freedom of speech and my freedom of choice... at no point in my song did i say BURN,KILL,DEM FI DEAD...in all honesty i dont care what a next man does or who he loves or sleep with thats non of my business...

all i was doing is stating where i stand as in i am straight.... and i see u left out the part of the song in the intro where i said I NUH CARE HOW YUH LIVE YOUR LIFE (I DO NOT CARE HOW U LIVE YOUR LIFE),instead i see u write NUFF BOY DEH WID RICH MAN i said NUFF BOY MEK RICH MAN A CALL DEM HONEY.....

PLEASE NOTE i am not bashing gays because everybody is free to do as they please..i am just saying this is where i stand as in am straight.

peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment